Subcommittee: Dr. Teresa Burns (Vet Med/Chair), Dr. Kimberly Cole (Animal Sciences), Dr. Jodi Ford (Nursing) and Dr. Holly Dabelko-Schoeny (Social Work)
- Zooeyia is defined as "The positive benefits to human health from interacting with animals."
- From the Greek root words for animal (zoion) and health (Hygeia was the ancient Greek goddess of health, the same source as “hygiene”).
- Zooeyia is the positive inverse of zoonosis (from the same “zoion” and “nosos,” or disease).
- Over 70% of people own a pet(s) or a companion animal.
- The power of the human-animal bond is a very important topic that impacts humans and a multitude of species regardless of their age or mental compacity.
- Further research can provide knowledge and understanding of the positive benefits to humans from various backgrounds and lifestyles.
Hodgson and Darling, Can Vet J 2011;52:189–191